Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Math Work Stations ~ Chapter 2 & 3

During the school year I dream of the summers when I can do what ever I want. I would sit and read all kinds of books, have a clean house, sew and make things, garden, and go on early morning runs.
Wake up, Kris. 
 You have:
2 high school cross country runners without driver's licenses (no breaks for XC runners)
1 daughter heading to UTA this fall. (sniff sniff)
My life is squeezed into pockets of time around my wonderful kids and I wouldn't change a thing.  
Therefore reading chapter 2 and 3 has come slowly.

Chapter 2 Organizing and Managing Math Materials 
  • This chapter was a lot of good information, although if you are like me, an organization freak want to be, this is kind of old news.  I can't teach effectively in an unorganized room.  Don't get me wrong I am far far from perfect.  
  • Use a Frayer's model for vocabulary. On a side note, went to a math journaling class this summer that talked about using a flip book for vocabulary.  COOL IDEA! For example, 3-D shapes on the top and each shapes name on the tabs.  Then the students can add definition, picture, pictures of objects that have that shapes, how many vertices, and etc.  I plan to do use it this year.  I will let you know how it turns out.

Chapter 3 Getting Started with Math Work Stations
  • First week of school explore the manipulatives, teach how a station should look like, feel like, and sound like.  Create an anchor chart.
  • Week 2 begin one station at a time, to me that means the class works on the same station, duplicate the station.  Then add.
  • Use mini-lessons to introduce new stations or when you see concerns. Mini lessons are used all year long when needed.  
  • NO new stations same day as teaching a new concept. 
  • Fewer activities revisited multiple times at stations are more effective
  • ASSUME NOTHING, MODEL EVERYTHING
  • Create a tub for "missing pieces" and games that are missing something this way students will not disturb you in small group.
  • Create an "I Can" list for each station to remind students what they can do.  Create this when you introduce the station.  Remember a station should have 2 to 3 activities. I am thinking 2 games and  math books.
  • two students per station
  • Time: mini-lesson 5 minutes (if needed), station #1 15-20 minutes, station #2 15-20 minutes, sharing 5-10 minutes.
  • Group students with small groups in mind
  • At times you may want to group class 1/2 in a station and the other in a independent work, then switch.
  • "Strike one and you're out" rule in stations
  • Use a management board to keep track of students.  I would like to create a chart that has language arts stations and math stations on the same chart.  Maybe the students in the middle. Hmm.
  • Take time to share.  Students can show and discuss there learning.  I am going to type up sharing questions. I will try to link them.  That's new for me. :)
  • Remember math stations are for reinforcement and extension of concepts and skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment