Monday, July 9, 2012


Rekenrek Rack


In June I went to a workshop called ESTAR: Elementary Students in Texas - Algebra Ready (K-2). The instructor showed us how to make a Rekenrek.  Cool idea! Great tool for learners to see visual models of number concepts and create different patterns. I could immediately see it in use in my classroom. Over the years I have created math tubs for my students. When I introduce or work in whole group the tubs are a huge timesaver.  

Supplies: index cards, 2 colored pony beads, scissors, tape.

To create the Rekenrek: 
  1. Create two little slits on each side of a index card.  
  2. Be careful not to fold the card. 
  3. Choose two colored pony beads.
  4. Place 10 beads on a pipe cleaner (5 of each color).
  5. Slide one end of the pipe cleaner into the index slits, fold over, and tape down on the backside.
  6. Repeat to other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment